Saturday, January 14, 2012

MEET JORDAN SCHAEFFER

The daughter of a Bond girl and a Spielbergian director, Jordan Schaeffer was born with movies in her blood.  Wanting to be an actress, not a celebrity, she’s toiled happily in indie films for a decade, never imagining that her work would receive any recognition.  Both thrilled and terrified by her Oscar nod, Jordan wonders if she can live up to the expectations everyone has of her because of her DNA.

Author’s Notes:  I was really interested to explore what it’s like to be a second-generation actress, especially when the first-generation was wildly famous, charismatic, and successful.  Jordan grew up in a fishbowl with everyone watching her, wondering what, if any, talents she’d inherited from her parents, and how she would make use of them.  She is the polar opposite of her mother, vivacious, world renowned sex symbol Lisa Merrin (my favorite character in the book because she’s so deliciously outrageous) and that sets up a lot of great conflict between the two of them. 

Jordan Quotes (non-spoilery): “Silly me, I thought the Oscar was for Best Actress, not Best Self-Promoter.”

“Ugh, I’m so bad at this.  I have no fashion vision.  I can’t imagine myself wearing any of these.  I’m all about comfort, not couture.”

“Why do I even bother voicing an opinion?  It’s just a waste of breath with her.  She never listens; she just does what she wants to and expects me to fall in line.  Well, not this time!  The Oscars are going to be my night.  Not hers, MINE!”

Casting:  Jordan is not your typical, glammed up starlet.  As an indie actress, she favors the more casual, funky look, something along the lines of Lena Headey.

Bonus Casting:  Since Jordan’s mom, Lisa, was an iconic sex symbol of the ‘80s and is still a blonde bombshell in middle age, Kim Basinger, who looks gorgeous as ever at 58, would be the perfect embodiment of the character.





8 comments:

  1. So far Jordan is my fave but Anaya is going to be a good train wreck! Also can't wait to see what Lisa is like...I assume it can't be good!
    Can't wait for the book to come out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jordan is likable, but she has issues just like the other characters. At least, she has a good head on her shoulders and doesn't take the whole Hollywood thing too seriously.

      As for Lisa . . . I envisioned her as being larger-than-life, like she just stepped out of some glam, over-the-top TV show a la Dynasty.

      Delete
  2. Hi, like Natalie Jordan is my favourite so far. I just love all the characterisations and cannot wait to read the full story to find out what everyones issues and secrets are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far, Jordan is the one I'm most interested in reading. However,that's all gonna change after you introduce the last nominee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree...Jordan is definitely my favorite so far, but I look forward into reading all their stories and seeing who is deliciously scandalous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that everyone is excited about Jordan! Although she's the most normal of the five nominees, I think she's still pretty entertaining in her interactions with her mother.

      Delete
  5. wow! so much interest for Jordan, whom I freely admit sounds quite interesting (oh and good call on Leena Heady...love her!)I like the rebel edge and could totally see me in her like 20 years ago!

    Interesting choice of Kim Bassinger as her iconic mom. I don't know why I keep thinking Anette Bening....how does she strike you as Lisa Merrin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that Annette could pull off Lisa's 'tude, but she'd need to vamp it up big time because Lisa's a former Bond girl who's blonde, curvy, and super sexy.

      Delete