Thursday, September 5, 2013

THE BANISTER BUZZ 9/5/13 - DANCING WITH THE STARS SEASON 17 CAST ANNOUNCEMENT


BREAKING NEWS: Pro Anna Trebunskaya is preggers, which explains why she's not participating in the show this season. No word on who the baby daddy is (she split with husband, Jonathan Roberts, earlier this year.)

Yesterday was a big day for DWTS devotees like myself. The names of the 12 celebrities who will be competing on Season 17 were revealed on Good Morning America. Actually, "confirmed" is probably the more appropriate word because thanks to the good folks at TMZ I knew 9 of the 12 celebrities in advance. Spoilers rock! ;) So, what do I think of the latest crop of ballroom dancer wannabes? Overall, I'm pleased. There's a good range of ages and personalities, and there are several contestants who have previous dance experience and/or musicality to help them with this challenge. I'll just go ahead and admit that I prefer watching stars who have some natural aptitude for dance. Imagine a show full of Kate Gosselins and Master Ps . . . SHUDDER

So, let's break this thing down. Here are the 6 brave men and 6 courageous women who will be vying for the mirror ball trophy, starting Sept. 16th, along with my thoughts on their potential and my predictions on where they will place in this Battle of the Sequins! Ladies first . . .



Elizabeth Berkley (Actress, Saved by the Bell/Showgirls), paired with Val Chmerkovskiy - She's tall, which means she'll have great lines, she's relatively young (41), she's fit, and most importantly, she has dance experience (And no, I'm not taking about her stripper pole shenanigans in Showgirls, she was in a dance company when she was a kid and performed in many ballets and musicals.) Val's one of my fave male pros on the show (I think he's the best choreographer next to Derek) and he's on a hot streak since he made the finals the last two seasons. My prediction: FINAL FOUR


Valerie Harper (Actress, The Mary Tyler Moore Show/Rhoda/Valerie), paired with Tristan MacManus - She's a television icon, so there's a huge nostalgia factor with her, plus she started out her career as a Broadway dancer, so she's got that muscle memory and knows how to move. Sadly, she's battling a terminal illness, which has been much discussed in the news the past 8 months. She's doing much better than her doctors expected and she seems to be in great spirits. I admire her tremendously for taking this on and I will be rooting for her to do well. I just worry about the physical and emotional toll this will take on her. She's fortunate to have the very sweet and nurturing Tristan as her partner. My prediction: Middle of the pack  



Christina Milian (Singer/Actress), paired with Mark Ballas - She's young (31), has a fun personality, and should have great musicality since she's a singer. Plus, she's got a sizable fanbase online (over a million followers on Twitter.) Mark's a fairly popular pro and he's good at coming up with edgy/different choreography that I think will suit Christina. My prediction: FINAL FOUR






Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi (Reality TV star), paired with Sasha Farber. A few years ago, I probably would have cringed at the inclusion of Snooki in the cast, but she's rehabbed her image quite a bit lately by becoming a devoted mom, losing weight, and leaving the Jersey Shore behind. She's a firecracker, and I think she'll be really entertaining to watch. I didn't realize that she was a gymnast and cheerleader (so was last year's winner, Kellie Pickler), which I'm sure will hold her in good stead. I think Snooki will surprise a lot of people on this show. My prediction: Middle of the pack


Leah Remini (Actress, King of Queens), paired with Tony Dovolani - She's outspoken and feisty and has been getting quite a bit of press lately over her leaving the Scientology fold and speaking out against them. I think she'll probably be a decent dancer (I read somewhere that she and her husband have taken salsa lessons.) I'm just not sure if the DWTS audience will embrace her. And I'm just not feeling her partnership with Tony. I know it's early days, but I didn't see much spark between them during their GMA bits. The other female competitors are so strong this year; I think Leah might get overshadowed. My prediction: Out early  

FUN FACT: Leah and Elizabeth were on Saved by the Bell together back in 1991.
  

Amber Riley (Actress & Singer/Glee), paired with Derek Hough - She's spent the last few years learning and executing choreography on Glee, so I don't think she'll have any trouble  picking up ballroom dancing. She's got the Gleeks behind her, and that is one hardcore fanbase. Plus, she's got DEREK as a partner and he wins almost every season! No way this girl isn't making it to the end. My prediction: FINAL FOUR 




Corbin Bleu (Actor, Singer, Model & Dancer/High School Musical & One Life to Live), paired with Karina Smirnoff - This guy's a frontrunner if there ever was one. He was in High School Musical, people! And yes, I've seen all three of those movies, don't judge me. Corbin is adorable, he's studied ballet and jazz, and now that he's shaved off his signature 'fro, he looks like a young Ben Vereen. He will be gold on DWTS and he's the best bet the guys have this season. My prediction: FINAL FOUR

FUN FACT: Whenever Karina's been asked who her dream DWTS partner would be, she's always said "John Stamos or Corbin Bleu." So, she's finally getting her wish! 


Brant Daugherty(Actor, Pretty Little Liars/Army Wives), paired with Peta Murgatroyd - I did not have a clue who this guy was when his name was announced, but he is major eye candy and seemed sweet in the GMA interview. So, I look forward to seeing what he can do. Fingers crossed that Peta doesn't oversexualize Brant in their routines (she's done this with other partners who were good-looking and it got icky quick.) Despite the pretty, I'm afraid that Brant's lack of name recognition will do him in. My prediction: Out early


Bill Engvall (Comedian/Actor), paired with Emma Slater - Historically, comedians have not done well on this show, so I don't hold out much hope for this poor guy. The fact that he's paired with a first-time pro (Emma was promoted from the troupe), who doesn't have a fanbase, isn't going to help matters either. And their goofy partner pose? GROAN My prediction: Out early






Keyshawn Johnson (Retired football player), paired with  Sharna Burgess - DWTS loves its football players (3 of them won mirror ball trophies!) I'm not sure how well-known Keyshawn is or what kind of fanbase he might have. I just hope he's light on his feet and has a good work ethic like most of the athletes who've been on the show. His secret weapon will be Sharna who worked a miracle on Andy Dick last season. For the record, I have a total girl crush on Sharna and think her choreo is uh-mazing! If she could take Andy to 7th place, I'm confident she'll go even further with Keyshawn. However, I think he'll be bested by all of the celebs with dance backgrounds in the end. My prediction: Middle of the pack



Bill Nye (TV host, Scientist, Actor), paired with Tyne Stecklein - The Science Guy? Really, Dancing With the Stars? SIGH As a rule, middle-aged white men don't fare well on this show, but a little research told me that Bill is an avid swing dancer. Is he a good swing dancer? Who knows? But hopefully this means he has some rhythm. Still, I don't see him lasting long because his fanbase is mostly kids and they're probably not going to watch this show and power vote for him. Also, I have no idea who his partner is. Apparently, she was in the troupe before being promoted, but all of those troupe blondes blend together in my head.  My prediction: Out early


Jack Osbourne (Television personality), paired with Cheryl Burke - Will Jack do as well as his older sister, Kelly, who made it to the finals and finished in 3rd place back in Season 9? Probably not, but I think he'll do a respectable job. He seems earnest, and Cheryl is a tough taskmaster, so I'm sure she'll pull the very best out of him. Jack was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis last year, so I applaud him for attempting to do something like this. He's got guts. My prediction: Middle of the pack


FUN FACT: A feud erupted between Jack's mom, Sharon Osbourne, and Leah Remini, after the latter was dismissed  from her hosting position on The Talk back in 2011. Leah said on Twitter that the firing was fellow co-host Sharon's fault. Sharon denied it and said Leah should move on. DRAMA! Their paths might just cross at DWTS this season as I'm sure Sharon will be there to support her son. Stay tuned . . .

Who will you be rooting for on DWTS this season? Do you have any early picks for the celeb who will be first out or the one who will take home that tacky trophy? What do you think about ABC eliminating the Tuesday night Results Show? Performances and eliminations on the same night - weird or wonderful? 

P.S. I will, also, be watching clips of Strictly Come Dancing (the British mother show) on You Tube this fall. They just announced their cast of 15, and I didn't know a single person! That's okay. It's always fun to "discover" British celebs, like Harry Judd, the adorable drummer from pop group McFly, when I watch SCD. This season I'm planning to keep a very close eye on this hottie - former rugby player Ben Cohen. 


24 comments:

  1. I love your take on the talent for this season of DWTS. I'm still on the fence if I will be tuning in or not. No one there jumped out at me as "OMG, you must watch me dance", but they have some interesting contestants this year. The field of male contestants is very weak, however. Looks like it will be another Derek win this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't hand the mirror ball trophy to Derek just yet, Mich. I think viewer fatigue has set in with him. He just can't keep winning every single season. That wouldn't make for good TV. Having said that, I do think that he and Amber will make the finals.

      We've had female winners the last two season, so we're probably due for a male winner this go-round. Unfortunately, as you said, the male line-up is weaksauce. The only one who really stands a chance of winning is Corbin Bleu.

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the new season, Mich. I miss our days of doing weekly DWTS reports! :)

      Delete
  2. I kind of hope Bill Nye does well. I loved watching his show when I was a kid, and if the guy can dance, maybe I'll have to tune in this season. (I've taken a few off.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally watch, Laura! Otherwise, you won't know what the heck I'm talking about for the next few months. ;) I really don't hold out much hope for Mr. Nye, but he might stick around for a few weeks. Will be interesting to see how he does.

      Thanks for leaving a comment! :)

      Delete
  3. I've never watched one single episode of DWTS but this edition of Banister Buzz was very interesting (and I"m not just talking about that picture of hottie Ben Cohen!) I'm so glad that Valerie Harper is well enough to participate in the show! My money is on Derek and Amber! ... You have piqued my interest and I might tune in for an episode or two! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GASP How is it possible you've never watched an ep of DWTS, Cat? It's the cheesiest, most cracktastic show on TV and it is so much fun! Really, I feel like a kid at Christmas every time a new season starts. You never know what ridiculous themes (Prom Night!) or bizarre twists (Threesome Dances!) the show will throw at the celebs. You MUST tune in this season and report back to me. I've never steered you wrong before, have I? ;)

      Thanks for reading and commenting even though you're not a fan of the show. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh! You are a witch, Tracie Banister; I am now sure of it. I LOATHE shows like this and often and loudly mock them--and the people who watch them (except my mom, because I love her, and she's old enough that she's earned the right to watch whatever the heck she wants to watch)--but this post has made me want to tune in! A pox upon thee! Fie! (It's serious when I start busting out the Elizabethan curses.) I will defintely be a closet watcher, however. I have a reputation to uphold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I scoffed at the idea of DWTS at first, too, Brea, and it was my mother who told me I should be watching since I love ballroom dance. Thus, my addiction began. It really is a very entertaining show. I would suggest not watching it with the kiddies, though, because the costumes/dances can get a little R-rated sometimes.

      And yes, I am a witch, but I only use my powers for good. ;)

      Thanks for leaving a comment! Come back next week when I'll talk you into watching something else you don't want to. :)

      Delete
  5. Your predictions sound pretty good. It'll be interesting to see how each one does. I haven't watched in a couple years. But, I just might watch again this season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Janine, you should definitely watch so that we can discuss every week. I think it's going to be a great season!

      Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  6. We agree on every celeb!!!!!! Like, seriously. Everything you said was exactly what I was thinking!!!! Very wacky..... LOL!! I am really looking forward to this season!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mind meld! LOL I'm glad we are simpatico, Steph. I'm super excited about this season, too. Can't believe it's #17 already! Where does the time go?

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. :)

      Delete
  7. Omg Keyshawn! Fight on, baby. Awesome article Tracie. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! Someone who actually knows who Keyshawn is. I did not have a clue when I saw his name on the list TMZ released. I'm just not hip to who's who in football. So, I take it you'll be rooting for him, ST? Football players almost always kill it on this show, and he's with my fave female pro. So, I'm sure he'll stick around for a while.

      Thanks for reading and commenting, doll! :)

      Delete
  8. I think Brant Daugherty(Actor, Pretty Little Liars/Army Wives)is adorable, but have to agree that the others have more star power. Should be an interesting season!

    And Keyshawn is adorable. I follow football - It's the Deep South!!!!

    Love the article!!!! xx, Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love in the Deep South and care nothing about football - it is possible, Laura! ;)

      I do hope Brant does well, so that we can keep the eye candy around for a while. We'll see how Peta does with him.

      Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  9. Haven't watched DWTS in many seasons. I like the dancing, but not all the extra .... Was going to say crap, but will say stuff instead. :)

    Ugh. Snooki. Why do folks encourage her. A "star"??!! Please!

    I'm really out of it. I don't even recognize most of these folks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there won't be enough time for filler this season, Jackie, as they've eliminated the results shows on Tuesdays, which means everything - performances, judging, backstage stuff, and eliminations all have to happen on Monday night. Not sure if we'll still be getting musical acts or not.

      Hope you take a look at the new season so that we can discuss!

      Delete
  10. Great post, Tracie!

    I agree with most of your predictions, but I think Brant might surprise people. Keep in mind, he was on Pretty Little Liars for a while, and that show has a HUGE, very loyal fan base. I think he's well known by the young audience and Zendaya's second place finish last season shows that stars with mostly teen/young adult fans can make it really far. Plus, he's hot. And when I Googled him I found out he's 28...maybe I should try to get tickets for a taping this season... :)

    I don't know if I'm as enthusiastic about Corbin as you are. I saw all the High School Musical movies too, but what has he been up to since then? He hasn't really been on anyone's radar lately, and he isn't nearly as popular as Zac Efron became from those movies.

    I hope Elizabeth does well because I want to see Val win. I think he should have won last season with Zendaya. Now that he has an older partner, he can do sexier dances that should bring in the votes, but I wonder if Elizabeth has the fan base to get them to the top.

    I love Derek, but I'd like to see someone else win this season.

    We haven't seen anyone dance yet, but I'm going to predict a winner...I'm sure my mind will change throughout the season, but right now, I think Christina will win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but Brant hasn't been on PLL for years. I know people who are fans of the show and they didn't even remember who he was when I mentioned him!

      If you could go to a live taping of DWTS, I would be so stoked, Nancy! I'd love to live vicariously through you. :)

      Corbin has been doing a lot of theater and cutting records, so I think his visibility is still pretty high. My early prediction is that he will win, but that might just be wishful thinking. I would really like to see a male winner this season, and he seems like the only one who might be any good.

      I'm with you on wanting to see Val finally get a win after two seasons of coming so close! If Corbin can't take home the mirror ball trophy, I'd be fine with Elizabeth doing it. I saw her in an interview the other day and was really impressed with her attitude.

      I think Christina will be great. I'm just not sure about her fanbase. We shall see!

      Thanks for commenting, Nancy!

      Delete
  11. Hi Tracie,
    well as you said the UK version started on TV last night and the 'stars' met their pro-partners. Here's a link to a London newspaper to see who got who... http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/07/strictly-come-dancing-2013-how-will-the-pairings-fare-3953781/
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see all the Strictly pairings and I am super excited about Natalie/Artem, Rachel/Pasha, Ben/Kristina, and Aljaz/Abbey. I will definitely be watching all of their performances on You Tube!

      Thanks for dropping by and commenting, Cathy!

      Delete
  12. I'll be watching this season, but I'll be impatient for most of the cast to go and hopefully we'll get down to the 5 or 6 I really like.

    Besides the cast, I have two points:
    1st, who does Tristan have to screw to get a young, sexy partner? Are they making him pay his dues?

    2nd, Anna and Jonathan split? What? They were just on this season of Design Star having their house re-done. Scandalous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL about poor Tristan. Nice guys really do finish last. I think TPTB always give him the older ladies because they know what a gentleman Tristan is. He doesn't have a huge ego like some of the other male pros do and he's very courtly in how he handles his partners. Everyone who's been partnered with him adores him, so that says a lot about what kind of guy he is.

      Wasn't that ep of Design Star w/Jonathan and Anna done a couple of years ago? They've been broken up since early this year. There's no way Anna can keep the identity of her baby daddy secret forever. I'm sure we'll know his name soon enough.

      Can't wait to dish on this season with you, Tracey!

      Delete